Pediatric Travel Center at Winthrop-University Hospital
Are you traveling with children? You and over 50 million Americans travel internationally every year for leisure, volunteer service, or to visit friends and relatives. Of every 100,000 travelers who go to an underdeveloped country for a month or more, 50,000 become ill during their trip.
The mission of the Winthrop-University Hospital Pediatric Travel Center is to keep young travelers healthy; not only by providing appropriate immunizations, but also by identifying and assessing potential health risks based on the planned trip, educating parents and children appropriately, discussing preventative measures and contingency planning, and providing medical recommendations should illness occur.
Why consult with a Winthrop Pediatric Travel Specialist?
- Vaccine recommendations and preventative medications for children are usually different from those for adults.
- Because their immune systems are still maturing, children are more susceptible to disease and often develop more severe symptoms and complications.
- Pediatric travelers have different age-specific behaviors and health risks. Our travel specialists are up to date with emerging infections around the world, such as chikungunya, Dengue, Zika and Ebola virus outbreaks.
- We provide services for all the members of travelling family, both children and adults.
Services Provided through the Pediatric Travel Center include:
- Individualized travel counseling for parents and children regarding health risks specific to their destination(s).
- Recommendations and prescriptions for appropriate preventative medications.
- All appropriate vaccines for the pediatric travelers, including yellow fever, typhoid vaccine and Japanese encephalitis vaccine.
- Emergency 24/7 access to speak with a Winthrop pediatric travel health specialist should a health emergency arise during travel.
Call (516) 663-9414 to make an appointment at least 2 weeks prior to travel to ensure a healthy and safe trip for you and your child.
Winthrop Pediatric Travel Center
120 Mineola Blvd, Suite 210
Mineola, NY 11501
T: (516) 663-9414
F: (516) 663-3793